Statement of KNU Central Committee 2nd Emergency Meeting
The Karen National Union (KNU) Central Committee 2nd emergency meeting was held from January 23 to 25, 2012 at a certain place in the Karen State. The meeting was attended by a total of 38 representatives, 35 Central Committee members and 3 specially invited representatives. At this emergency meeting, the decisions relating to negotiation were made, as shown below.
(1) Discussions between the KNU and the Burmese (Myanmar) government on the matter relating to ceasefire will be continued.
(2) For building trust in the interest of ceasefire, dialogues and discussions will be undertaken on the matter of reduction/pulling out and positioning of Burmese government troops in the KNU areas.
(3) For the effectiveness and smooth progress of negotiation, the KNU will seek the advice of experts.
(4) The KNU will seek suggestions of the Karen people, inside and outside of the country, and encourage more participation of women in the negotiation process.
(5) For the achievement of national (ethnic) equality and self-determination, the KNU will work together with the ethnic nationality forces, at the stage of political dialogue and negotiation.
In conclusion, we would like to state that in negotiation with the Burmese government, the KNU will strive ceaselessly for the establishment of durable peace, based on national equality and self-determination rights, after the establishment of durable ceasefire.
Contact: Saw David Tharckabaw (Mobile 66 - 84 381 4679)
Join us on Facebook
Find out what is going on in Karen State and Burma.
You can follow the KNU on Facebook! Click here