KNU Statement affirming Full Support for Decision of NLD
1. We the Karen National Union (KNU) earnestly and fully support decision of the National League for Democracy (NLD) not to register as a political party under the unjust laws and 2008 constitution of the SPDC military regime and thus to boycott the upcoming elections.
2. The decision of NLD, which is supported by an overwhelming majority of the people of Burma, is the decision of the people, and thus, it is a valid and legitimate decision.
3. In the past 20 years, the regime has made its utmost effort to sideline or eliminate the NLD altogether. The military regime is most likely to be gleeful over the decision of the NLD not to remain as a party and not to contest in the upcoming elections. It might think that it has now got rid of the NLD forever. However, so long as there are people in the country, the spirit of the NLD will remain alive.
4. The regime will go on with its elections, which is one of the steps in its so-called Road Map to democracy. We may not have much difficulty to prove that it will now be a total farce, when 80% of the voters will not be willingly casting the ballot.
5. The people of Burma will have to make renewed effort for freedom and democratic change, as it is now clear that the regime’s Road Map to democracy is just an outright fraud.
6. We would like to urge all the ethnic and democratic forces and the international forces for peace, freedom and democracy to join hands together and make a concerted push for final victory against the SPDC military regime, which is the most ruthless and criminal dictatorship in the world.
7. In conclusion, we would like to call on the International Community, including the US, EU, ASEAN countries etc. to censure the military elections and not to recognize the results.
Karen National Union
Join us on Facebook
Find out what is going on in Karen State and Burma.
You can follow the KNU on Facebook! Click here