Naw Zipporah Sein is the General Secretary of the Karen National Union.
She was elected at the 14th KNU Congress in October 2008.
The responsibilities of the General Secretary include:
• To oversee and supervise all the administration and work of the departments.
• To represent the KNU in the media.
• To observe and enforce the policies set up to be fully implemented.
• To prepare statements, letters, policies documents, and others as necessary.
• To organise regular meetings to consult, discuss, and respond to emergencies.
• To provide advice and direction as necessary and required.
• To provide analysis of the political and security situation, and report to the other EC members for planning and decision-making.
• To maintain communication with district leaders.
To contact the office of the General Secretary please call +66 (0)872108355
Prior to becoming General Secretary of the Karen National Union, Zipporah Sein was General Secretary of the Karen Women’s Organisation, and in this capacity was one on 1,000 women nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005. Her predecessor, Padoh Mahn Sha, was assassinated by agents of the Burmese military in February 2008.
Follow the link below to see KNU General Secretary Naw Zippoprah Sein interviewed on Al Jazeera.